RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL STUDENT’S MANUAL LESSON 7TH JULY 2019
TOPIC: EFFECTIVE PRAYERS (PART 2)
SUNDAY SCHOOL HYMN
1. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
O how I love Thee well,
I am happy, it makes me glad
To rejoice at Thy birth.
2. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Thy friend friendship suits me well,
Both young and old will sing Thy song,
We long for Sunday School.
3. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Christ was Thy first teacher,
The Holy Spirit, great teacher,
Does manifest in thee.
4. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
This testimony is sure,
That God, the Father Almighty,
Poured His blessing on Thee.
5. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Though the sun be so bright,
Or if the clouds be black with rain,
I’ll be in Sunday School.
6. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
I rejoice to see Thee,
Will thou pass over me today?
Without my being blest?
MEMORY VERSE: “Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts. James 4:3
BIBLE PASSAGE: Matthew 6:5-15
5. And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
6. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
7. But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
8. Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.
9. After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
10. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
11. Give us this day our daily bread.
12. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
13. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
14. For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
15. But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
*LESSON INTRODUCTION*: In our last study, considerations were given to the definition of prayer, reasons for praying and where/when to pray. Hopefully, most of us should have cultivated the attitude of prayer by now, as we consider other aspects of prayer today.
1. WHAT SHOULD WE PRAY FOR?
2. PRAYER GUIDE AND REASONS FOR UNANSWERED PRAYERS
WHAT SHOULD WE PRAY FOR?
The Lord Jesus taught that we should pray with priority that the Kingdom of God would be established here on earth (Matt. 6:10). Scriptures admonish us to pray for all men (1 Tim. 2:1-4).
Pray for every Christian to be made perfect through the knowledge of Christ (Col. 1:9-10); pray for the sick (James 5:13-16); pray for our enemies (Matt. 5:43-45); pray for wisdom and understanding (1 Kings 3:9); pray for personal safety and the safety of others (Dan. 6:18-23); pray for long life (Isaiah 38:1-5); pray for your personal needs that will give you fullness of joy (John 16:24); pray that you may be able to do the will of the Lord, for provisions, forgiveness, guidance, victory over temptation and sin (Matt. 6:9-13).
CLICK HERE TO READ – PRAYER POINTS ON TODAY’S OPEN HEAVENS 7TH JULY 2019 SUNDAY
CLICK HERE TO READ – TODAY’S MORNING DECLARATIONS SUNDAY 7 JULY 2019
CLICK HERE TO READ – OPEN HEAVENS DAILY DEVOTIONAL FOR TEENS 7 JULY 2019
The above list is inexhaustible. More importantly, always pray according to the prompting of the Holy Spirit and in the Spirit (Job 32:8; Rom. 8:26; Eph. 6:18).
PRAYER GUIDE AND REASONS FOR UNANSWERED PRAYERS
The Holy Spirit should guide us as we pray (Romans 8:26-27). We must pray in faith in the existence and supernatural ability of God (Heb. 11:6). We must pray persistently (Luke 18:1-8) and with humility (2 Chron. 7:14). We must not ask God to do anything contrary to His will (Matt. 26:39).
We must forgive others if we want God to answer our prayers (Mark 11:25). We must be obedient to God. (John 15:16). We must not stray from the way (John 15:7). We must pray in Jesus’ name (John 16:24).
Here are some causes of unanswered prayers: Unbelief (James 1:6-7); an unforgiving spirit (Mark 11:25); Sin (Psalm 66:18; Isaiah 59:1-2) and asking amiss i.e. asking with the wrong motives or against the will of God (James 4:3), hypocrisy in prayer, showmanship, pride, vain repetitions (Matt. 6:5-7), fears, agitating passions and moral conflicts (2 Peter 1:2).
CONCLUSION: God enjoys listening to you as you talk to Him. However, the prayer of a sinner is an abomination to God except he asks for forgiveness of sin (Prov. 15:8; 28:9).
1. What should believers pray for?
2. Mention four reasons some prayers are not answered.
FOR FURTHER READING:
Ezra 9:5; Daniel 6:10; 1 Kings 8:22; Luke 22:44; Exodus 2:23.
ASSIGNMENT:Mention five (5) tricks of the devil to obstruct the prayers of believers, Suggest the solutions to the tricks.